Announcing Fortanix Self-Defending KMS integration with Cohesity |Fortanix Blog
Backup data is not only critical for business continuity, but it also acts as a last line of defense against data breaches and sophisticated ransomware attacks. Ponemon Institute report quantifies the average cost of a single ransomware attack at $5 million due to productivity loss, downtime, and information theft, while the cost of a data breach averages $8.64 million in the United States. To reduce cybersecurity risk, organizations should encrypt and tokenize backup data to avoid data loss, ensure availability and avoid regulatory penalties. While encrypting data is easy, securing encryption keys from cybercriminals requires enterprise key management to provide secure access control and a hardware security module (HSM) to securely store keys. I am excited to announce integration of Fortanix Self-Defending Key Management Service with Cohesity.
The Fortanix Self-Defending KMS and Cohesity Solution
- Unified Data Security — Single platform for key management, tokenization, and hardware security module (HSM) to secure the Cohesity data and credentials.
- Seamless Integration — Integrates with Cohesity through the KMIP interface.
- Compliance — Enterprises can store and backup private keys on-premises with Fortanix FIPS 140–2 level 3 HSM appliance to satisfy compliance requirements.
- Scalable HA/DR — Scale horizontally and geographically, providing automated load-balancing, fault-tolerance, disaster recovery, and high availability.
- Secure Credential Management — Fortanix allows enterprises to securely manage and store the credentials used to login to Cohesity appliance in an HSM.
Cohesity eliminates mass data fragmentation by consolidating data silos into a single easy-to-manage multi cloud data platform. It hosts enterprise class data services including backup and recovery, file shares, object stores, DR, dev/test provisioning and analytics. The joint Cohesity and Fortanix solution provides unified data security platform that includes full enterprise key lifecycle management, a FIPS 140–2 level 3 certified HSM, encryption, and tokenization to protect backup data from ransomware, data breaches, and avoid regulatory penalties from General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and other privacy regulations. The Fortanix Self-Defending KMS integrates seamlessly with Cohesity to secures data across multiple public cloud, hybrid, and on-premises environments.
The Fortanix and Cohesity joint solution provides critical layers of defense including:
- Enterprise Key Management — Fortanix secures cryptographic keys, protecting backup data whether it is in the cloud or on-premises. With an intuitive web-based interface, businesses can now manage all the data keys from a single centralized platform.
- Complete Security for Data and Keys — Fortanix provides end-to-end security for keys and data (at-rest, in-transit, and in-use) protected with a FIPS 140–2 Level 3 HSM and layers of defense including Fortanix Runtime Encryption® technology.
- Verifiable Audit and Access Control for Compliance — Fortanix enforces policies that protect against unauthorized access and provides secure, comprehensive, tamper proof audit logs that meet compliance requirements.
There is a wealth of sensitive information lying within your backup systems. There were nearly 200 million ransomware attacks in the third quarter of 2020 alone. Evolving ransomware attacks targeting backup files has warranted the IT managers and security teams to implement secure encryption of the backup data and the need for a comprehensive data protection platform that does not compromise on storage efficiency is ever increasing. Fortanix Self-Defending Key Management Service and Cohesity joint solution helps security teams to provide the layer of much needed security to the backup data by providing end-to end security for data and keys.
Originally published at https://fortanix.com.